Stuart D. Colburn
Jay R. Downs
R. Christopher Esson
R. Lynn Fielder
D. Rynn Freiling
John V. Fundis
Laura Shelton Horn
T. Glenn Ingram
Tab H. Keener
Tara S. Kern
Christopher M. Losey
Frances A. Lout
Janice G. Menzies
Charles E. Morse
David R. Pettineo
Philip P. Romero
Laura D. Schmidt
Andrew Z. Schreck
Wendy D. Schrock
Timothy U. Stanford
Jeremy J. Cook
Jay R. Downs
A founder and shareholder of Downs . Stanford, Mr. Downs has
over thirty years of civil litigation experience. His practice
has focused on the defense of personal injury and wrongful death
cases, business litigation and family law. He is a member of the
American Board of Trial Advocacy, Board Certified in Civil Trial
Law and Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal
Specialization and a Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate by the
National Board of Trial Advocacy. He has been lead counsel in
more than a hundred jury and bench trials in counties all over
Texas and in six
- State of Texas (1982)
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court—Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Co-Chairman, Primerus Defense Institute, Transportation Section, 2009-2010
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Council on Litigation Management
- Vice Chair of the Primerus Defense Institute for 2013-2014
- Chair of the Primerus Defense Institute for 2014-2015
- Baylor University, J.D., 1982
- Baylor University, B.A., 1976
Certifications and Pro Hac Vice Admissions
- AV Rated, Martindale Hubbell
- Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Pro HAC Vice Admissions: California, Montana, Kansas, Michigan,
Illinois, and Mississippi
- Super Lawyers 2006 to 2015
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Columnist, Insurance Journal , 1996-1998.
- "Unlearning Old Falsehoods About Trial," Insurance Journal , Volume 3, Number 14, September, 1997.
- "A Guide to the Statute of Limitations in Professional Liability Suits," Insurance Journal , Volume 2, Number 7, July, 1996.
- "Declaratory Judgment Actions: Who Pays the Insured's Legal Fees?" For the Defense , Volume 38, Number 2, February, 1996.
- "The Phenomenon of Zinc Whisker Growth and the Rotary Switch," Metal Finishing Magazine , Volume 92, Number 6, August, 1994.
- "Ten Ways a CPA Can be Sued," Today's CPA , November, 1992.
- "The Affirmative Defense of Inability to Pay," Trial Lawyers Forum , June, 1992.
- "Finding the Hidden Party," Trial Lawyers Forum , June 1992.